Harvard Law Professor and longtime political activist Lawrence Lessig wants to win the presidency of the United States to accomplish one critical objective: ending the corrupting influence of money on politics. With that done, he says he’ll step down and let someone else take over the Oval Office. It’s a radical notion, the single-issue presidential candidacy, but as he points out, only a radical solution can wrest back control of our democracy from the monied interests who have steadily come to dominate American political life.
In this exclusive interview, Lessig and The Young Turks’ Cenk Uygur discuss:
- The Kickstarter campaign that will decide whether Lessig officially runs for president.
- Why, even if one of them were to become president, Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton have no hope of eliminating money from politics.
- Why the American people would get behind a one-issue candidacy to get money out of politics.
- Why the Democratic party is as guilty as Republicans for the current corrupt system.
- Whether Donald Trump’s candidacy is helpful or harmful to the cause of money in politics.
- The Three Prongs of Political Corruption that a Citizen Equality Act would deal with.
- Whether he would govern as president on other issues while trying to pass the Citizen Equality Act.
- How the fight against money in politics is the Civil Rights issue of our time, and that now is when the American people need to come together in shared sacrifice to take back democracy.
Find out more about Lawrence Lessig here: http://www.lessig.org
Donate to the Lawrence Lessig for President Kickstarter here: https://lessigforpresident.com
Follow him on Twitter: @Lessig
Direct download: TYT_Interviews__Larry_Lessig.mp3
-- posted at: 12:00pm EST